- March 27, 2017
- Posted by: Teen Africa Academy
- Category: Career
You are welcome to this week edition of our career feature. This week, we would be giving you a summary of a Career in the Fashion Industry.
The fashion industry solves the problem of clothing, covering nakedness and dressing for occasions of different purposes. As a young teen lady and a young teen guy, you wouldn’t think of wearing a long sleeved cotton shirt, all buttoned up on a knee length pencil skirt concluded with a d’orsay 5cm heeled pumps and a long sleeved shirt with a bow tie combined with a waist coat and a black pants concluded with a John Foster shoe for a picnic at a beach. Ridiculous isn’t it? Yea, you are well dressed but it doesn’t fit the occasion. A career in the fashion industry that would help in solving the challenge of what to wear for an occasion would probably either one of this; a costume clothier, a fashion journalist, a wardrobe consultant or preferably a fashion stylist.
let’s take a peep into the amazing careers in the fashion industry
- Fashion DesignersThe fashion designer is the architect and visionaire in the fashion industry. The fashion designer imagines images of designs of different genres of people and designs that would be a good fit for specific occasions and events. Fashion design is the art of application of design and aesthetics or natural beauty to clothing and accessories. fashion designers work in a number of ways in designing clothing such as women’s, men’s, and children’s apparel. This might include sportswear, maternity wear, outer wear, underwear, formal wear, eye wear, footwear etc. and fashion accessories such as bracelets, necklaces, earrings, hats, scarves, belts etc. A fashion designer needs the ability to study trends, sketch designs h/she has envisioned, select fabrics and materials for a design. It is also recommended that a fashion designer or an aspiring fashion designer to attend fashion shows for inspiration and to keep up with the trend. Fashion designers use trend reports by fashion forecasters to sketch designs. In this present era, fashion designers use Computer aided design CAD. A growing number of fashion designers take hand sketches and put them on the computer. CAD allows designers to look at designs of clothing on virtual models in many colours and shapes other than using a fit model. This therefore saves their time
- Technical Designer The technical designers are the engineers in the fashion industry. They figure out how to make the design envisioned by the fashion designer. They look at the sketch of the fashion designer and work on bringing the design to life. They work with the fashion designer to ensure all of the notions and details are correct. e.g. thread colour, stitch gauges, buttons and zipper details. A technical designer creates a technical package which include various details for the production team, such as bill of materials, final sketch of garment or accessory, packaging instructions, label or hand tag placement, wash description, sewing details and points of measurement. A technical designer is very important in the fashion industry because they make an accessory or garment production possible and the technical package designed by them is very important for consumers, because this helps consumer to get some important information about whatever fashion piece they are buying. And if the information in the technical package is not correct or does not match the fashion piece requested by the customer, the fashion company can incur a charge by the customer and must absorb the cost of mistake.
- Pattern Makers Pattern makers is also an important career in the fashion industry. They take designer’s ideas and translate them into pattern samples.a pattern is the template from which the parts of a garment are traced onto fabric before being cut out and assembled. Patterns are usually made of paper and are sometimes made of sturdier materials like paperboard or cardboard if they need to be more robust to withstand repeated use. The process of making or cutting patterns is sometimes condensed to the one-word Patternmaking but it can also be written pattern making or pattern cutting. They create an initial rough sketch, after the samples are made, the designer may request a few tweaks before the final sample is made. Nearly every garment that is made today is created by piecing pieces of fabric together. These individual pieces of fabric are usually cut out with the help of a pattern.
- TailorTailors directly take measurement of the client and stitch the clothes according to the design given by the clients, which he or she may have selected from what celebrities, models wear published in magazines.
- Seamstress Seamstress unlike the tailor, sew and stitch clothes designed by a fashion designer without meeting directly with clients. They sew clothes according to a number of several measurements and can make a particular design in very much quantity (mass production) for the market from the fashion design house. Historically seamstresses are of the female gender.
- Textile Designer A textile is a flexible material consisting of a network of natural or artificial fibres (yarn or thread). Yarn is produced by spinning raw fibres of wool, flax, cotton, or hemp or other material to produce long strands. Textiles are formed by weaving, knitting, crocheting knotting or felting. A textile designer create fabrics and patterns for woven, knitted and printed materials for clothing and interior furnishings.
- Fashion Stylist A fashion stylist also known as wardrobe stylist is a consultant who selects the clothing for published editorial features, print or television, advertising campaigns, music videos, concert performances, and many public appearance made by celebrities models or public figures. They work with celebrity clients to styling models for photo shoots. It provides exciting opportunities to share your passion for style with a variety of interesting people. It requires extensive knowledge of the fashion industry and a knack for matching your clients with the clothing that will support the image they want to project. You’d do a lot of lifting heavy garment bags lol.
- A Fashion Forecaster A fashion forecaster research and create trend reports used by fashion designers and textile manufacturers. They let us know what style, colours and fabrics will be popular for a certain season in the near future. No wonder we have some kind of designs and fabrics trend in fashion for a particular period of time in our society.
- A model Once a designer creates a garment or accessory, he will usually need some way to display the item to the public. This is where fashion modeling comes in. Fashion modeling involves using people to show off a particular type of fashion. This allows the public to see how a particular fashion looks, which can help create public interest. Several different types of fashion items can be displayed using fashion modeling. Some items that can be modeled include garments, accessories, jewelry, and cosmetics. In the fashion industry, fashion modeling is often used as a type of advertising. Models are often featured in magazines and catalogs, as well as on television and the Internet. Fashion models are required to look and act a certain way. Therefore, they must work very hard to maintain a certain image. This usually involves strict dieting and exercise to keep their bodies in top shape. Fashion models must also usually keep up to date on and wear the latest fashions. A career in fashion modeling also usually requires models to work very long hours in several different types of settings and environments. Swimsuit models, for instance, will usually need to wear several different swimsuits on a beach. This type of work, which may seem inviting to some, often involves baking in the hot sun or smiling for the camera in chilly, windy weather for hours.While they are modeling, fashion models also need to move or pose their bodies in certain ways, or they may need to rely on facial expressions to achieve a certain look.Fashion models should also have an outgoing personality and superb people skills, since they will usually need to interact with a variety of different people while they are working. They may need to interact with stylists, makeup artists, designers, and photographers.
Before venturing into any career, it is important to know and explore that career path. It is also important you ask important questions to be sure of what skills and other requirements ( formal or vocational education) needed in that career path so you can be prepared and successful in the career path. This is why we are here in Teen Africa Academy, sign up on our career academy to guide you in making the right career path as we explore several career options. Register here http://teenafricaacademy.org/register-as-a-parentguardian/